Re: Even more on Uskudar

I'm picking up this thread in the middle, so please forgive me if I
reiterate what's already been said.  I've been in love with Uskudara for
many years.  Once, on the radio, I heard a 50's recording of Eartha Kitt
singing it in Turkish.  As I understand the story of the Turkish song, the
smitten girl is in love not only with the bedroom eyes of her young clerk,
but also his top hat and morning coat.  Being western was sexy in old
Istanbul.

I played the Greek version with Sophia Bilides.  "Apo tin Athina os ton
Piraea, ekhasa mandili m'ekato flouryia." "On the way from Athens to Piraeas
I lost a handkerchief with 100 florins."  The story goes that a beautiful
lady, daughter of the priest, finds it.  The suave singer tells her to keep
the florins, but give back the handkerchief.

The great clarinetist Naftule Brandwein recorded the tune, with a grafted-on
fourth section, as "Der Terk in Amerike," and so it came into the Klezmer
repertoire.  What a great tune!  Years ago it was used as the theme music
for "The Turkish Voice" radio program in New York.

Owen

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

The Angel that presided o'er my birth
Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth
Go Love without the help of any King on Earth

Wm. Blake