"Taste of Passover/Chanukah"

Just a small correction to Ari's post:
> There was a reprise live performance here in Boston a few weeks ago.
[of a Taste of Passover].

Actually, it was a Khanuke performance on 2/28 (title above) in a very
similar vein to "A Taste of Passover" which will also come out as a CD/cs.
and, I believe, a video, in time for Khanuke.

Both shows are inimitable Netsky - a mix of traditional Yiddish, Ladino,
Hebrew and American- pop-inspired songs (e.g. Beach Boy style dayenu) and
narration (local Yiddish legend Chasia Segal demonstrating how to make
matzo balls - a hoot!).  Bikel narrates, and the music is played by a
combination of the New England Conservatory Jewish Music Ensemble and solo
singers - Netsky's very talented students - and various other NEC ensembles
and choruses (Children's Chorus, Gospel Choir, etc.) and some audience
participation.

The Taste of Chanukah album will also feature Cantor Morton Shames and the
Boston Community Choir (more African-American/Jewish connections here - "Lo
B'chayil" [Not By Might], with music by Netsky), and gospel singer Thomas
Jacobs ("I Had a Little Dreydl" like you never heard before!)  I was really
touched by the singing of Jewish songs by African Americans, given how much
strain there is between too many members of each community. I've also heard
the BCC at a local community fundraiser held at a local shul.  Not to be
missed.

In both shows, Leonard Solomon clowns and (juggles, mimes and plays his
self-built Bellowphone) in a manner that reminded me of the Jewish court
jester tradition (not that I was there personally...)

(We carry the Pesakh album [and will carry the Khanuke one when it's out] -
CD $16, cs. $10 + $2.00 / $1.75 shipping)

Dena
a bisl yidishkayt
Klezmer and related Yiddish CDs, tapes, videos, books
web site:    www.yiddishmusic.com
e-mail: klezmer (at) yiddishmusic(dot)com

phone and fax toll-free: 1-877-YIDDISH
(Boston area: 781-643-1957)

P.O. Box 400331
Cambridge, MA  02140