Re: klezmer percussion

The 'broombass' sounds intriguingly familiar in form and manner of playing to
the 'lagerphone' popularised by Australian 'bush' (quasi-traditional) bands.
The lagerphone is an upright stick topped with numerous beer bottle lids which
jangle when the instrument is tapped on the floor and 'bowed' with a notched
stick. Is this a case of concurrent evolution or are the Devil's Stick,
broombass and lagerphone linked at some point? (Through German immigrants?).
Grounds for a thesis :)
Tim