Eliott's comments

On 02/05/99 13:59:54 you wrote:
>Why is it we Jews must always "participate?" Couldn't congregations sit in
>silence for awhile and just "listen" to good music? You are as familiar as
>I with church services: Protestant congregations will sing sing three
>hymns and listen to the rest. Depending on the church, there will be two
>or three "special music" sections per service. This seems like a
>good balance to me.

Well, Ari and others are right - Jews MUST participate.  How paradoxical to
point to the
Protestant style as the model! I think we lose something quintessentially
Jewish if the
congregation sits there waiting to sing on cue, culturally and not just on a
halakhic level
(now, mind you, this an aggressively secular Jew speaking).

In an ethnomusicology course on Sephardic Jewish Liturgy I am taking at UCLA
with Edwin Seroussi
of Bar Elan U., he has made the interesting distinction between "structured
sound" and music.
What I think of as "davening" in the Ashkenaz tradition - the mish-mash murmur
of chanted
individual prayer, at different individualized pace, pitch and ornamentation -
is what Seroussi
has in mind.  By the way, it is pretty much the same in the Sephardic
tradition.  Seroussi poses
the question as to whether this should be thought of as music at all, hence the
term "structured
sound".  It seems to be some variety of this "structured sound", albeit one
which Eliott
apparently sees as uninformed which he disdains.  I would argue that this
desire and willingness
to participate is to be encouraged.

Let's face it folks - most average Americans won't sing in public at all,
embarrassed about not
sounding like Alanis Morisette or Garth Brooks or whomever (John Phillip Sousa
was right in his
dire predictions about the effect of the phonograph.). The fact that the
participants feel
comfortable enough to make an attempt to sing is, to me, a positive step.  To
be told that they
should lay off because they don't know the tunes is a sorry thought indeed.

Susan (Shira) Lerner