-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Bresler <jbresler (at) ultra(dot)net>
To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Date: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 2:57 PM

Thanks, Reyzl. I have both recordings, and here are my thoughts.

It is virtually impossible to hear Mentesh in his recording. He is
masked
at most times by the "modern adaptations". There would have been room
have had the original AND the pop versions; too bad they weren't
included.

For those interested in exploring this repertory more, Ruth Yaakov has
very highly regarded disc "Sephardic Songs of the Balkans: Shaatnez"
on
piranha, while for the absolute real thing, "Cantares y Romances
Tradicionales Sefardíes de Oriente " edited by Weich Shahak, on Saga,
is
indispensable. (Her "Sephardi Songs of the Balkans" on AMTI has been
out of
print for a while, but may be available at your library.)

WRT Suzy, they are pleasant pop-flavored versions of Sephardic
standards.
Her pronunciation is suspect ("Adios" for "Adio") but if you care
about
that, get the Weich Shahak compilations anyway!

They have also released four CD singles. Anyone interested in
pop/gothic
versions of these songs would do well to get the recordings of Jaramar
(available from Isolation Tank.)

Best, Joel

At 01:13 PM 2/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I found these 2 interesting items on the Sefarad mailing list and
thought
I would share them with this list.

>Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky
>

>----------------------FORWARD--------------------------------
>*****************MUSIC***********************
>Adama Music, PO Box 5255, TEL Aviv 61052 TEL:972-3-5181758,
972-52-577965
>FAX:972-3-6836895 ishay_am (at) netvision(dot)net(dot)il
>Director Ishay Amir
>Below tapes cost 69 NIS or $23.
>1) "Mentesh, the Jewish Violinist from Skopje"
>This CD of Mentesh Nahmias, age 86 and Holocaust survivor, presents
>an usual combination of gypsy violin and traditional Sephardic
>music. Balkan tunes are prevalent in the songs and Nahmias presents a
>different Sephardic musical repertoire than that frequently presented
from
>Salonika, Jerusalem, Spain, or the USA. Modern adaptations also add
to the
>uniqueness of the collection. The piece "Timzuti" appeared on the
sound
>track of the movie "Ahava asura" ("forbidden love").
>
>2) Suzy, "Herencia". This Turkish-born newly rising popular Sephardic
singer
>has gained a lot of publicity in the Israeli media, and at Sephardic
>performances in Jerusalem and the Tel Aviv areas with her combination
of
>modern and traditional Iberian Sephardic styles. Influenced by Izzet
Bana
>of Istanbul, she brings to Israel a rich knowledge of Sephardic music
>and traditions. Her popularization of Sephardic music to the Israeli
>mainstream, complemented by traditional Ottoman and Turkish musical
>compositions, parallels Yehuda Poliaker's combination of Greek and
>Israeli pop styles. Suzy enters electronic music, special effects,
and unique
>background arrangements to her performance. She succeeds in creating
dramatic
>and sensitive moods in her presentations. It's still early to
determine if
>she's destined for stardom, but her professional approach shows an
increasing
>sophistication in Sephardic music. Her music has been used in
>at least three sound tracks and we certainly can expect to see other
films
>and productions utilizing her talent.

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.