RE: Kol Simcha in U.S.

Ari,

After having read your post I listened to the sound clips from the
review on your site, and after having listened to the sound clips I
don't understand your post. Aside from not knowing what "deracinated"
means, from the sound clips it sounded like enjoyable music (and that
may be key, the sound clips were three 50 second clips containing the
"beginnings" of the 3 songs. There was no way to tell what they did
with the tunes after they played them through once). But from what I
heard, to my ears, it was Klezmer, low-keyed, non-raucous Kleamer (how
raucous can you be with a flute?), but Klezmer.

In your review you observed "When one listens to the flute or clarinet
wail, it isn't a typical
klezmer progression that follows, there is no kvetch or krekhts.
Instead, the
progressions are those of jazz."

In the Flatbush Minyan Bulgar, it seems to me that the clarinetist was
kvetching and krekhtsing. It was certainly on the "polite" side (as
contrasted to, let's say, the New Orleans Klezmer All Stars, who
definitely extend Klezmer music toward the "raucous" side).

I don't know the music of Kenny G and Bruce Benson, but I just
listened to their clips from the Tara site, and in the case of
Kenny/Bruce I absolutely agree with you. There music sounds to me like
what they play on whatever Boston station it is where they play
"smooth jazz". That music is the quintessence of echo chamber soprano
sax and synthesizer playing what sounds like computer-generated chord
changes, with no soul or meaning whatsoever.

Having said that about Kenny G, I don't hear that mindless
synthesization at all in the music of Kol Simcha. It seems to have
movement, rhythm, soul, Yiddishkeit, but again in a non-raucous way.
(The Klezmorim were also fairly non-raucous in their recordings from
the 70s).  I respect your opinion so I am wondering where the disjoint
exists. Is it possible that the clips were not really representative
what Kol Simcha does? Would it be feasible, without doing anything
unethical, to put longer clips from the 3 songs on your site? Or put
clips from a few more cuts?

Thanks,

Dick Rosenberg