Re: Kinky JM: Niggardly Swedish???

MMMM!  Something I can bite into!  Many thanks to Ingemar for the derivation of
the root "nig."  I can supply the facts about the suffix "ard."  This is a word
construction that always carries a pejoritave sense in English.  The sense is
dismissive, implying a fatal character flaw.  A stingy man: "niggard."  A timid
man: "coward."  (Yes, I'm saying "man."  Before you women get on my case, think
about what you're signing up for.)  An overly sentimental man: "dotard" (he
dotes, you see).  An alcoholic: "drunkard."  And, most tellingly, a citizen of
England's greatest rival state: "Spaniard."  That construction is used in
English for no other ethnic group, and, as far as I know,  is not echoed in any
other language.

Perhaps one of the Yiddishists on the list can give a talk about the Yiddish
dissmissive suffix, "-ekhts."

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

The Angel that presided o'er my birth
Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth
Go Love without the help of any King on Earth

Wm. Blake