Re: klez accordion & tsimbl

Ernie Gruner / Cathy Dowden <erniegru (at) mira(dot)net> wrote:

> Would it be a reasonable guess to say that something like a diatonic button
> accordion started replacing the tsimbl in europe in the early 1800's? I
> can't remember the tsimbl queries but when did it decline?

I would guess that the diatonic button accordion didn't start making
inroads until the late 19th century and early 20th century.

In much of Eastern Europe, the cimbal was growing in the late 19th
century----that is, peasants in Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, and
Poland were adopting it from Jewish tradition.  In southeastern
Romania, Gypsies didn't start using it until 1880-1900, and in
Moldova, the early 20th century.  There are reports of Jews playing
it, around 1900-1910, in Dvinsk (now Daugavpils, Latvia); "old people
in Poland," 1908, although it had been in decline there.  I've seen
a Belarus-style instrument from New York, and my father bought a
Romanian one in the Lower East Side in the late '30s, so there were
obviously ones brought by Jewish immigrants to America, and there
were three or four Jewish players in the 1937 Local 802 directory I
have.  Findeizen's 1926 article on the Lepyansky ensemble (father and
three sons, playing 1st, 2nd violin parts, middle, and bass, all on
cimbals) says that around Vitebsk in the late 19th century, there had
been a growth in (Jewish) interest in it.  But Beregovski says in the
'30s that he couldn't find much evidence for it in Ukraine recently.
So it would depend on the region.

The Ukrainians who went to western Canada used tsymbaly a lot, and
still do----violin, accordion, tsymbaly, and drum set, maybe with an
electric bass or guitar----is common, although there are some groups
closer to the troista muzyka sound, with violin, tsymbaly, and drum
set (like the Johnny Makichuk Trio, of Windsor, Ontario, if he's
still around).  There are many players in Alberta and Manitoba.

The piano accordion may be replacing it in Romania, and also the
electonic keyboards, but it is still in demand there.

 > Does anyone know a maker/seller of a portable tsimbl?

Do you know Tim Meyen?  He's in Australia and on this list, I think.

I've been studying this a lot recently, but have been interested in
the instrument for many years.  There are structural similarities and
tuning similarities between traditional instruments from places as
distant as Belarus and Romania, but I don't think there is a "Jewish,"
as opposed to a Belarusian, or Rzeszow, or Galician, or Romanian
variety.  I think, if you divided regional varieties into subtypes,
there are "Lithuanian" (Latvian/Lithuanian/Belarus) instruments;
"Galician" (southeastern Poland and western Ukraine) instruments; and
Romanian instruments (Greek santouris might be added to this type).
There are some curious elements that have lasted 200 years or more, in
these areas, like the six-holed soundhole and the g#/c# which
precedes the g/c course, however, which must have been present in
Jewish tradition by the 1700s, because of the spread of these things.
Each of the three varieties has a distinct sound, so you'd have to
decide what you'd want.

Paul Gifford