Internet Klezmer broadcast resumes on Tuesday, Jan. 12

Tomorrow evening at 9 p.m. Eastern time (Tuesday, Jan. 12), and on
subsequent Tuesdays at the same time, "The Klezmer Hour," hosted by yours
truly, will resume its regularly scheduled broadcast from Williams College
radio Station WCFM (91.9 FM), going out on the Internet at:
http://wso.williams.edu/orgs/WCFM. From there, click on "RealAudio" and then
on the word "Receive." (You might be able to eliminate a click or two by
going directly to http://wso.williams.edu/orgs/WCFM/realaudio.html).

In spite of its title, the show includes a pretty wide range of music, from
traditional klezmer to contemporary klezmer and the various fusions (Naftule
Brandwein might be followed by Naftule's Dream, for example), as well as
other, non-klezmer based (or questionably klezmer-based) new Jewish music
(e.g., Shlomo Carlebach, John Zorn, Bob Gluck, Wolf Krakowski).

Occasionally the show is theme-based, e.g., last fall we did a Dave Tarras
tribute one night, a Naftule Brandwein tribute another, and a "bands from
towns not typically associated with klezmer" another. We've showcased
clarinet tunes and violinists on other shows. Most of the time these themes
gel at the last minute, or even during the program. If I ever know in
advance what the theme will be, I'll try to post it to the list. Suggestions
are welcome!

I've received a fair amount of new (or at least, new to me) Cds in the last
couple of months, so I imagine I'll be trying to showcase some of those
works in upcoming weeks. In particular, tune in to hear the GREAT new CD,
hot off the presses, by The Klezical Tradition. It will knock your socks
off.

Everything I play comes from my own CD collection (imagine a college station
without an extensive catalog of klezmer!), so anyone who hasn't already
gotten in touch with me about getting your CDs into my hands for airplay
consideration, please do so ASAP.

While my show is also subject to the vagaries of college radio broadcasting
(as per Alana's recent analysis of the difficulties of such), I have however
seem to have arranged successfully for the permanent institutionalization of
the show at this time. Anyone familiar with the management of student-run
college stations knows there's no such thing as "permanent"; I am, however,
fairly optimistic that this will be a regular program for the foreseeable
future (except when school is not in session and the station is shut
down!!).

I am also hopeful that as promised WCFM will begin shortly to archive shows
on its website, so you could hear it anytime, and not only in real time.

I also hope to begin posting my playlists to my klezmer website, at
http://www.berkshireweb.com/rogovoy/klezmer.

Also, BerkshireWeb has given me an open invitation to host an Internet chat
event using their server, during which I could spin CDs right from my home
computer and you could listen to them (and to me gabbing!) while at the same
time we could all meet in a dedicated chat room and talk about whatever it
is we want to talk about using IRC (typing messages to each other in real
time). Please let me know if you would be interested in taking part in such
an event. If there is enough interest expressed, I will make arrangements to
host such a virtual gathering.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->