Re: Question: Modzitz cd (Fusion Music)

What we think of as pure traditional music has a special beauty, but it may in
reality simply be the fusion music of an earlier era.  The problem with much
of the Chassidic/religious music that is fused with pop/rock is the quality
and shmaltz not the fusion.  Religious songs joined with lame music are lame.

To be successful, the musicians need to be steeped in both the traditional
Jewish material and the contemporary musical sound.  To me, Wolf's
Transmigrations and the Skokie-based band Even Shsyiah (religious songs put to
a sixties rock sound) show how to make fusion sound both new and rooted at the
same time.

Gideon

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->