You mean he's Jewish too?

> Seth Rogovoy wrote:

> And so are any of the 36 (double khay) songs

> written for Elvis by Ben Wienstein, including  the unforgettable "Do The
> Clam" -- issues of <kashrut> notwithstanding.

Do the Clam??

> Wolf Krakowski wrote:

> In a similar vein, it may interest some folks that tough-guy actor/song
> and dance man James Cagney was also a  Yiddish-speaker.  He was not
> Jewish but picked up the language during a Lower East Side childhood.
> In one of his films, there is a scene in the back of a cab where the
> dialogue is entirely in <mameloshn>.
>
> Wolf

There's a wonderful anecdote that goes with the Cagney factoid (the film, by
the way, is the 1932 "Taxi").
Many years later, Fritz Lang and John Ford were seated together at the Montreal
Film Festival and Ford, knowing that Lang was Jewish (or half-Jewish, or not
Jewish -- it depends on who you believe, but that's another story) began to
speak to him in Yiddish. Lang was, to say the least, nonplussed. He asked Ford
how he knew Yiddish. "Jimmy Cagney taught me," Ford replied.

George Robinson

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->