[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Jews for XMAS]]

Steven M. Singer wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Kame'a Media wrote:
>
> > Steven is perhaps being sucked in by its mawkish sugar-plum
> > sentimentality
> > and  confusing  it with <eydelkayt> or something.
>
> Or something...
>
> Always happy to hear the lilt of your listserv voice, Wolf.

What did I say?  Why do you project a tone to words on a VDT?
What are you, extra-sensory?
If I wanted to be sarcastic or hostile, I assure you would know it.
I was not being so in the above note, but if you need a whipping-boy...

 I think that the point is that whether a Jew lives a Jewish life (or
not) he/she cannot help but be shaped by the heritage that created
him/her.

Okay...Then are you saying because you were "shaped" by "White
Christmas" and its writer happened to be a Jew, there is some value to
that?
I disagree.  It can be argued that a Big Mac is loaded with nutrients,
too.

> Is there ANYTHING inherently *Jewish* about American humor, television,
> music, movies, etc...  If there is, than Irving Berlin (sugar-plums, big red
> suit-and-all) is a part of it.

In the field of commercially-successful popular song, he is indeed a
"giant".
I especially like "I'm Gonna Sit Write Down and Write Myself A Letter"

So, Berlin was a Jew, with a panache for writing songs that Gentiles
love and celebrating a culture that wasn't his (whoopee!) are you saying
he should be lionized as a great Jewish artist?
Seeing as the man never acknowledged his Jewish heritage in his art,
I respectfully, though adamantly, disagree.

> Bah Chum-bug.

What's this supposed to mean?
Are you disparaging Khanike, then?

> -Steve