Jewish Music Available on the Web

Hi all,
        I have been listening in on the discussion on this list for a few
years. My personal feeling has been to stay out of most of the conversations
about specific products since - I actively market and represent many of them. I
have believed the marketplace should determine its verdict on products by
themselves. However, since there has been a discussion of what is available on
my site and what is missing - I would like to add my 2 cents.

        In the past the philosophy of our company has been to provide the broad
based Jewish music consumer audience with access to products that were viable
on a national and international level. We have boxes of demo CDs that were
submitted to us, that were unmarketable in Judaica shops or via conventional
catalog methods and as thus they were relegated to obscurity (circular file).
What artists fail to realize is the cost of printing catalogs and the mailing
costs vs. the kind of response their products can elicit on a mass level. (Our
cost of placing an item in our print catalog is about $400 - our last print
catalog was mailed to over 150,000 people and there are products that sold less
40 copies) We were therefore very selective as to which products we placed in
print and that we carried. We had to select the products for the masses and are
"marketable" and function as a recommender.

        There are literally hundreds of titles that end up in judaica stores
that just sit there because the customers walking in have never heard of the
group or artist. The customers have no way of making an intelligent decision
about the products except based on the artist's recognition, title and cover
art. Except for a handful of stores around the country the sales staff has
equally little knowledge about the albums.  We have tried to change that by
installing listening stations in the top 65 Judaica shops in the country. It
has allowed customers to preview albums and make their decisions based on sound
bytes.  None-the-less there are still albums that don't sell that way either.

        The Internet has changed all of that! The cost of adding a product to
our website is a fraction of the above costs. Online catalogs can be updated
relatively quickly. Products can have lengthy descriptions, song lists, reviews
and real audio - which all help market the products. So, over the last three
years we have been slowly expanding or product offering. We are currently at
3,700 products with over 5,000 pages to maintain. The response is fascinating
to say the least - obscure products have been ordered within an hour of being
added to our site. The range and diversity of products that the same people
order is also quite amazing. However, many products sell only one or two copies
even after being on the site for several months.

        We are none-the-less committed to making as much Jewish music as
possible available to the public. So over the last 5 months we have opened up
the doors to artists that have products that they would like to make available
through our company and our site. There may be some of you that have albums or
know of artists that have albums that we do not currently carry. To that ends I
share the following information. We will add "Jewish" music products to our
database and online catalog for a nominal fee for setting it up - which
includes, scanning the covers, adding the table of contents and adding a
description provided by the artist or record label. We will also add up to ten
minutes of real audio - for a nominal fee for sampling and transmission. We
will only do this for products that are in print, readily available and meet
the basic market standards of quality. This service is provided only when we
are provided with a nominal amount of product on consignment a consignment
basis. This product will be available if and when someone orders it. If and
when the products sell they will be paid for. This program is similar to others
that are being provided by other non-jewish distributors and retailers. If you
would like more information you can email me.

        There are several individuals that have posted to this list recently
that have taken us up on this offer. Their products have sold, because they
made them available and made them accessible through our services. It is a
nominal investment on the part of the artists and labels and it allows people
to get access to hearing and buying their products.

        I am posting this message to this list as a service message not as a
sales vehicle. If you say that our offering is "Incomplete" you now have the
chance to remedy it!

Mayer Pasternak
Tara Publications
Jewishmusic.com

P.S Many of the albums that have been discussed recently you can find on our
site at http://jewishmusic.com . Including some adult Chanukah offerings
including Jon Simon, Festival of Lights, Voice of the Turtle, Zamir Choral -
Klezmer Conservatory - Oy Chanukah, a new A Cappela album by Listen Up!  - to
name a few. For those of those that like shmaltz Kenny Karen has a song on his
album called "Festival of Lights" which is great!  I had suggested to Six
Degree that that put that on the Festival of Lights album but they vetoed -
their loss.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->