Re: Jews for XMAS

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, robert wiener wrote:

> How does one get a "Jewish musical soul"?  Is it acquired at birth
> (genetic)?  Or is developed through exposure to Jewish culture (learned)?
> Is it passed on in the blood?  Or will the children of assimilated Jews not
> have a Jewish musical soul?

Great questions, Bob.  I don't think that I have a good answer for you,
though.  It seems that *in spite* of the disappearance of observance,
lack of Jewish education (in the home and out), and being overwhelmed by
everything NOT-Jewish in the diaspora,.. our music, media,
discourse... continue to have pervasive expressions of Jewish
religious-ideas, heritage, humor and perspective.  Why is that?  Well,
maybe its due to (what's left of) our connection to our rich heritage.
Can it be adopted?  Sure, I guess so.  However, the question of whether
this "vein" of Jewishness will continue to run through American secular
society -- in anything but a "Seinfeld" way -- will depend on what each of
us does with the gift that our children may provide for our future.  Their
education, their wisdom, their "souls" will determine the future landscape
of American Jewish religious life.  Irving Berlin, Paul Simon, and Jerry
Seinfeld (to name a few) did not grow up NAIVE to their Jewish heritage!
The fact that they chose not to make it a part of their public life is a
valid point for discussion... and criticism, possibly.  But, it's clear to
see that the generations between Seinfeld and Berlin all had the KNOWLEDGE
of their traditions - whether they rejected them or not.  Will we be able
to say the same of our children.. or grandchildren?

-Steve Singer

http://www.jewishsong.com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->