Subject: Jews for XMAS
Author:  <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org> at Tcpgate
Date:    12/16/98 12:17 PM

I certainly DO NOT want to spend more time on this issue (this is a JEWISH
music list), but it's interesting to consider the impact of Jewish writers
and composers on the current landscape of Xmas music.

The liner notes of Mandy Patinkin's recent "Mamaloshen" album raise this
very issue about the "Jewishness" of secular (or even Christian holiday)
music written by Jews (i.e. Irving Berlin - "White Xmas", Paul Simon,
etc...) regardless of content.  (i.e.  The expression of the Jewish
musical soul comes through - no matter how assimilated we may be.)

Two cents of gelt.

Steve

http://www.jewishsong.com
info (at) jewishsong(dot)com