Romanian lautari videotape

Hopefully this isn't off-topic, because of the relationship of
klezmer music to Romanian Gypsy music (there are tunes common
to both tradtions and the cimbalom, bass, and clarinet in the
Romanian tradition probably come from Jewish tradition).

I just completed editing a home video that I made in Romania last
summer.  It contains about ten discrete groups, almost all music made
by lautari (musician Gypsies) for other lautari, including a major
wedding in Bucharest, with a lot of the current "stars," a village
group, including some old songs, a wedding procession, and five or
six restaurant groupings in Bucharest.  There are about six violin
solos, six cimbalom solos, plus accordion, nai, and clarinet solos
(there is Radu Simion playing "Ce mai foc si ce mai jale," which is
a klezmer standard, plus "Doina Oltului," related to the Jewish
doina).  It's one hour, forty-eight minutes.  It's not a professional
video, but is edited and has subtitles.  Cost is $20; send check or
cash to Paul Gifford, 710 Avon St., Flint, Michigan 48503.

Paul Gifford

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->