RE: Sephardi Sh'ma (was Re: Governess, one last time)

Yosl,

thanks for sharing this with us.

>>>Without wanting to open up a halachic debate, most poskim (religious
>>>authorities) do not consider it derekh eretz to use the term "Adoshem"
>>>for the actual name of G-d. If I may quote from Rabbi Binyomin Forst's
>>>classic "Laws of Brochos", Mesorah, 1990, p. 49:
>>>
>>>"If one wishes to make reference to Hashem without uttering His name in
>>>vain, it is appropriate to substitute the word 'Hashem'. One should not,
>>>however, use the appellation Adoshem (as is commonly done). The word
>>>Adoshem is itself meaningless and thus disrespectful. In distinction,
>>>Hashem means 'The Name' and clearly connotes that the speaker is
>>>referring to the name of G-d. This usage as a substitute for the Divine
>>>Name has its basis in the Mishna (Yoma 3:8)".

I suspect that "Adoshem" is used because of the three syllables
work better as a substitute for Adonai, making it sound less
awkward when prayer is used in a secular setting?

In any event, if the halacha proscribes anything but the specific,
that is good to know.

ari

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->