Re: Film, "The Governess"

I saw the film and it was beautiful, including the rolling Scottish
countrysides.  Not being an expert on Sephardic themes, I was impressed with
what was in the story and the music was haunting.  As one who is unfamiliar
with this genre of music, it opened a new interest in me.

What the movie could have pointed out more clearly was the historical attitude
in England toward Sephardic Jews as "aristocracy" and "above" the Ashkenazim.
The claiming of Sephardic roots (as Disraeli did at every opportunity, and as
George Eliot did in Daniel Deronda) was a way of associating one with higher
culture and literacy, in contrast to the sterotypical shtetl Jews.

Alice

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->