Re: clarinet Klezmer CD's

>I am enjoying Brandein, King of the Klezmer Clarinet. Are there other
>clarinet Klezmer CD's that you would recommend? Perhaps newer with better
>sound quality? I have been unable to get Klezmer, NY but still trying.
>Comments?

Joel Rubin's album with the Epstein brothers is outstanding--they
bring out the best and most soulful playing from Joel, and Max
Epstein is no slouch, either. You can find a review at
   http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/klezlist.html
(look for "rubin")

Anything that Kurt Bjorling has played on--Chicago Klezmer Ensemble
or Brave Old World (or the BOW album that Joel Rubin played out) will
feature some outstanding clarinet, as well. My favorites would be the
latest CKE (Sweet Home Bukovina) or BOW/Klezmer Music.

Ditto for any Klezmatics album--they have always recorded with remarkable
clarinetists (Krakauer was recording with them for Rhythm and Jews, and
also Jews with Horns, or was that Bjorling, or Darriau already? You get
the picture, though.)

That will get you started. Other people may have different favorites
(possibly some of their own) to recommend.

ari

Ari Davidow
The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/
owner: jewish-music mailing list