[JEWISH-MUSIC:5092] Re: Zemer (Brazilian Band)

Mauro- Although I am not a musician, I hope it is ok that I am responding to
your e-mail.  I am unsure as to    how long you have been trying to bring
Klezmer to Brazil, however here's my non-musician opinion.  It does not
surprise me that there is great difficulty getting Klezmer to be accepted.
Music in Spanish or Portuguese has a much gentler tone and rhythm than does
Klezmer.  And when I think of musicians to whom I listen (Lani Hall, Milt
Nacimiento, Jobim,  Guardabarranco, Gilberto Gil, Alabina, or Julieta
Venegas), I think it might be difficult for people to make the change in
rhythm, tone, sound, volume, etc.  I am not stereotyping Latin music.  Simply,
I am suggesting that Ladino would be an easier language to hear, in music that
is slower, more melodic, and lyrically more story-like.  For me, Klezmer never
really feels like it has a beginning, middle and end.  I am not putting down
Klezmer, only saying that there is a melodic difference, and for the most, a
faster pace that takes some time to become accustomed to.  I am not sure this
is what you are looking for, in terms of comments, but I just couldn't resist.
Best of luck!

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->