Re: klezmer dance

In a message dated 6/23/98 5:03:03 PM Central Daylight Time, ari (at)
ivritype(dot)com
writes:

<< "Klezmer dance" now refers to those dances to which klezmorim
 played (or play) the music. I haven't actually seen any good
 books, though. Yet, go to any wedding, and =someone= knows
 steps that aren't the Israeli hora. >>

There is an out-of-print book called JEWISH FOLK DANCES by Nathan Vizonsky
with detailed dance steps (Yiddish intro translated by my Uncle Ben Aronin,
music arranged by Max Janowski, nice dance illustrations) put out in 1942 by
the American-Hebrew Theatrical League, Chicago.
Included are detailed steps for "Kosher Dance," "Broiges Dance," "Sherele,"
"Paatch Dance," "Koilitch Dance" and others, including the context in which
they would be danced.  If anyone knows a company that would like to re-issue
this, it's probably one-of-a-kind....

Lori Lippitz

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->