Re: looking to study klezmer and jewish music in college

Mattflight (at) aol(dot)com wrote:
>         The two schools that I know offer Klezmer and Jewish music as a
> course of
> study are New England Conservatory of music where Hankus Netsky teaches, and
> were I'm currently taking some music classes this summer. The other school is
> their next door neighbor Northeastern University, were Josh Jacobson teaches.

I had the opportunity to study briefly with Joshua Jacobson (I had to
drop the class at Hebrew College 'cause Brandeis wouldn't give credit
for it, grumble grumble) and it was a wonderful experience.  He's very
dynamic, and a terrific teacher who obviously loves what he's doing.  I
never studied with Hankus, but I've met him, and he's very friendly and
obviously in love with his work, for whatever that's worth.

> P.S. I like the new Mandy Patinkin album. Its fun, it a different setting than
> Yiddish normally gets, and it will bring people into Yiddish culture. We
> should be thankful that mainstream artist is bring masses to our world. So
> Mandy and Barbara both deserve a great big thank you in my humble opinion.

I sell a lot of Jewish music in my shop, and I have found a wide range
of people to be enjoying the Patinkin album immensely, whether they're
seasoned fans of Yiddish music, or newbies who are just enjoying the
novelty of it.  I don't know whether or not it raises the cultural level
of Yiddish music blah blah blah, but I do know that a LOT of people who
would never think of buying a Jan Peerce or Dudu Fisher CD are now
enjoying listening to Yiddish.

--
Larry Solomon   shlomo (at) apk(dot)net
Proprietor, Merkaz Judaica

"I live in fear of not being misunderstood."
-- Oscar Wilde

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->