Re: Copyright Etiquette & Public Domain

>Dear Ari,
>        Your recent reply brings up something:
>How can one research to find out waht Jewish music sis still copy righted
>and what is in public domain?
>
>Also, re: Jewish Music that is copyrighted, what is the "proper" procedure
>in performing, or adapting that music?  Or in printing copies for choral
>use?  Are there any good guidelines on this?  Maybe an article or a book
>that is oriented specifically to Jewish Music.

Boy, I don't know. At the time I was just thinking that it
would be preferable to encourage people to be spreading copies
of authors' works in ways that the authors got their fair royalties.

That is different from the case where bands will put up arrangements
of traditional tunes on their websites, for instance, so what they
are giving away their own arrangements (the part that they own, but
to which they may still reserve some rights) of something that is
otherwise public.

But this has to have come up enough for other folks on the list to
have experience or a more authoritative take.

ari

Ari Davidow
The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/
owner: jewish-music mailing list