Re: [Fwd: klezmer = yiddish?]

Hello, everybody.  In the recent discussion of this topic, I kept waiting
for what is to me the most obvious answer.  Since no one else brought it
up, I guess I will.

The rhythms and syntax of Yiddish *are* the rhythms and syntax of klezmer.
Period.  Plain and simple.  All the points about cultural identity are good
ones, but at its very most basic level, though you can certainly have
Yiddish without klezmer, klezmer *is* Yiddish.  I believe in this so
strongly that in my own training and in the coaching I do of other
musicians, I highly recommend serious immersion in listening to spoken
Yiddish as an essential step of internalizing the style.  Spoken and sung
Yiddish can provide essential information to the instrumental musician
about phrasing, about rhythm and accent patterns, and countless more subtle
aspects of the sound of the culture.

Sherry Mayrent
Wholesale Klezmer Band
www.crocker.com/~ganeydn