Shabbos Candles

>To most of us, tradition is what we grew up with.  There are and perhanps
>"always" have been different ways of worship, at least once the Hebrews
>ended their wanderings in the desert and established tribal areas.  In our
>family, my wife puts a little water in the Shabbat candle holder to keep the
>flame from damaging the silver when the candle burns down.   When our
>daughters began to light Shabbat candles in their own homes, they asked
>about the religioius significance of the water.

Not to belabor Halacha in a music list, but I believe putting water under a
Shabbbos candle would be highly questionable, halchically speaking.  I
understand that the halacho prohibits putting water under a candle if the
intention is to extinguish sparks and other hot debris fomr the candle.  I
have not checked my sources lately, so PLEASE do not consider this a Psak
(a decision).  However, but I would say your daughters have a certain
halachic intuition!

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->