Re: drinking songs as religious music

More info!

Enjoy!

Subject: Re: drinking songs as religious music
Author:  Yerachmiel Altman at ibi-cor4
Date:    2/26/98 4:33 PM

B"H

Hi,

You wrote/asked:

>      Do you have anything appropriate to respond to this?? I know somewhere
>      i have seen written on these nigunim but cannot at moment remember...

Nyet Nyet Nikavo was an old "bar" song and was transformed by the
Previous Rebbe into a declaration of Belief in Hashem. According to
Sichos of the Rebbe which I recall (vaguely) there are certain Nigunim
which the Rebbeim transformed so as to break the power of the negative
forces. I.e. Napoleon's March, The Marseilles, and others.

--

YY

Yosef Y. Kazen - Director of Activities

                   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  Your act of goodness and kindness will bring Moshiach one moment sooner.
                   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Help maintain the vital activities of Chabad-Lubavitch in Cyberspace
with your tax-deductible donation made payable to:

Chabad-Lubavitch in Cyberspace (C.L.I.C.)
770 Eastern Parkway - Brooklyn, NY 11213
Tel:718-953-2444 - Fax:718-953-2445

                   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

     <<  I'll give YOU a reali life anecdote from MY life.  I attended
     services
     in 770 Eastern Parkway when I was about 13.  I came back singing their
     Hashem Echod (Nyet Nyet Nikavo) melody.  One of my Hebrew teachers,
     (who was a
     native ocarist russia) started laughig at me.  He asked me if I knew
     that this was a
     VERY baudy Russian Army melody?  I had no idea.  But I eventually did
     see it sung in a movie about WWI, in a scene where Czarist Russia army
     troops march
     this very same melody.  >>

     My Russian friends say it's a Russian Orthodox church hymn melody.  I
     would guess (based on Camp Ramah experience) that this pre-dated the
     bawdy army version.

     That's nothing! Those folks down on Eastern Parkway [the Lubovicher
     hassidim -- ed. note] have one song, "Ne zhurite brati" (Don't Scold
     Me, Brothers) which is not only an old Russian drinking song, but they
     sing it in
     Russian (which very few of them understand) with the original words.
     Apparently it had some kind of mystical interpretation from one of the
     rebbes.
     Itzik Leyb

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->