Re: Orgin of Hatikvah

<<  I'll give YOU a reali life anecdote from MY life.  I attended services
 in 770 Eastern Parkway when I was about 13.  I came back singing their Hashem
 Echod (Nyet Nyet Nikavo) melody.  One of my Hebrew teachers, (who was a
native ocarist russia) started laughig at me.  He asked me if I knew that this
was a
 VERY baudy Russian Army melody?  I had no idea.  But I eventually did see it
 sung in a movie about WWI, in a scene where Czarist Russia army troops march
 this very same melody.  >>

My Russian friends say it's a Russian Orthodox church hymn melody.  I would
guess (based on Camp Ramah experience) that this pre-dated the bawdy army
version.

Lori Lippitz

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->