Re: Nusach Sepharard vs. Nusach Edot HaMizrach

Thanks for a great response.

To sum up, if Nusach can be used two different ways, is there any foolproof
way to distinguish how it's being used on any given recording? (To identify
music that would traditionally be sung by Sephardim as opposed to
Ashkenazim?) Or might it require that I ask of the label or performer which
usage (of nusach) they mean?

Best, Joel

_________________________________
>Subject: Nusach Sepharard vs. Nusach Edot HaMizrach
>Author:  <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org > at tcpgate
>Date:    2/15/98 9:49 PM
>

>Chaverim:
>
>Could someone on the list elucidate for me (and all interested others) the
>difference between Nusach Sepharad and Nusach Edot HaMizrach (custom of the
>Eastern Congregations). I am told the former is actually (and confusingly)
>a variant on Ashkenazic chant.

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02173 USA