Re: Re: Jewish content in Phish???

Hi Gideon,

Other "odd" Jewish records.
  In the late 50's there was a record label called Slay Records(Frank Slay)
that put out some of the greatest R & B and Do-Wop records.  They put out a
record called "The Swinging Circle" which I heard on American bandstand. The
song was actually Hava Nagila. Other versions of Hava Nagila were recorded by
Harry Belafonte, Connie Francis, Glen Campbell, and a big hit in the late 50's
by Betty Madigan under the title of "Dance Every One Dance".

My favorite"unexpected" recording by a pop artist was "My Yiddishe Mame" by
Jackie Wilson who was the #1 R & B artist in the late 50's and early 60's.
Jackie recorded an entire album of Al Jolson tunes (his idol) at the peak of
his  & R&R popularity. The album also included the greatest (technically
Jewish) version of  "The Anniversary Song".

Tom Jones, in the Mid 60's, recorded a version of "Yiddishe Mame"which he
copied from Jackie Wilson (his idol).

There is a great book on Jackie Wilson coming out soon called "Lonely
Teardrops: The Jackie Wilson Story" by Tony Douglas.  Why am I putting this on
a Jewish Music list?  Well, using John Zorn's example of "Burt Bacharach-
Jewish Music" being Jewish Music cause Bacharach is a Jew, Jackie Wilson was
also Jewish, therefore.....
Simon
Hatikvah Music

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->