Re: recording questions

Hi, Andy.  For what it's worth, which probably ain't much, I understand that
asking for permission to use copyright tunes, in the absence of the explicit
denial of that permission, constitutes permission.  But I'd think the tunes
you're considering would be PD anyway.

OBD

At 01:32 AM 1/27/98 -0800, you wrote:

>1/26/98
>
>I've a question or two for those on the list with recording experience. My
>band (The Freilachmakers Old Time String Band) is completing its first CD.
>Since we are new to recording (for general consumption, that is), we need
>to find out if some type of permission is required to record widely known
>klezmer tunes by 20th century artists like Kramtweiss and Tarras. If so,
>how does one go about obtaining that permission? Is there a central
>facility with particular knowledge of klezmer that can dispense
>"permissions" to record? (In other words, do all of you klez recording
>stars spend lots of time on the phone taking care of this stuff before you
>market you CDs?). Anyway, you get the gist of my questions. I'd appreciate
>any suggestions.
>
>Andy Rubin

        Owen Davidson, Amherst, Mass.
        The Wholesale Klezmer Band

        The Angel that presided o'er my birth
        Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth,
        Go love without the help of any King on Earth.

                                Wm. Blake

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->