Sephardi Music: Cross-posted from 78 mailing list

Chaverim:

I thought this would be of interest. If anyone on the list is knowledgeable
in Sephardi music, I would be grateful for the help in all format, not just
78s. By the way, I have already been in touch with Prof. Martin Schwartz,
well-known in this arena.

Best, Joel

ORIGINAL POST to the 78 Mailing List

Dear friends:

I am attempting a comprehensive discography, in all formats, of the music
of the Jews exiled from Spain, the Sephardim. On the 78 front I am feeling
a keen need for some help, due to the obscurity of these artists and some
of their labels. Let me give the group a quick overview. We can then
discuss any issues of general interest (such as bibliographic and library
resources) via this list, and take the more arcane stuff to private email.

Early Sephardic recording artists were active in the Ottoman world
(principally Turkey and Greece) and later, in New York. Overseas recordings
appeared on Favorite, Odeon, Orfeon/Orfeos, and Polyphon. Domestic
recordings appeared on Columbia (two disks only, though there may have been
reissues), Gennett (one disk only), Mayesh Record Company (a private label
for performer Jack Mayesh) and Metropolitan.

I would welcome suggestions in the following areas:

1) Bibliographic finding aids.  I am familiar with the Rigler-Deutsch Index
in both microfilm and online (Eureka/RLIN) format. The obvious problem:
most 78s never seem to get cataloged, and foreign language releases just
compound the tangle.

2) Libraries and sound archives that might have holdings in this area. I am
somewhat familiar with the NYPL resources and have visited the Library of
Congress. I have also joined ARSC.

3) Sources of catalogs, if different than libraries and sound archives.

4) Collector and dealer contacts that might be of some help in this arena.
I am particularly keen to secure sources for used 78s in Istanbul(!)

Thanks to all,

Joel

I typically do NOT have the matrix numbers, except for disks I have
individually examined. An asterisk "*" indicates multiple recordings with
this numeric prefix.

OVERSEAS LABELS - DETAIL

FAVORITE
Algazi, Rabbi Isaac
(also transliterated as: Algaze, El-gazi, etc.)

Recording Nos:
1-550**
1-56282
1-59087

ODEON
Algava
Haim Effendi (Note: Effendi is an Ottoman honoric; this was not his real
last name.)

Recording Nos:
461**
462**
542**
543**
544**
545**
54670
83047

ORFEON/ORFEOS
Haim Effendi

Recording Nos:
100**
10032
101**
102**
105**
111**
112**
113**
114**
125**
130**
131**
132**

POLYPHON

Haim Effendi
Cakum Effendi   (See note on "Effendi", above)
Marlette, Mlle.
Rosa, Mlle.
Haïm, Isac

Recording Nos:
136**
2136** (probably the same series)

US LABELS - DETAIL

COLUMBIA
Stamboul Quartette, The

Recording Nos:
78000-F
78001-F

Haim Effendi rereleases?

GENNETT
Angel, Isaac

Recording Nos:
503-A/504-A (from Spottswood)

MAYESH RECORD COMPANY
Mayesh, Jack

Recording Nos:
1367/1368
1439/1440

MERE
Mayesh, Jack

Recording Nos:
600*

METROPOLITAN
Hazan, Victoria

Recording Nos:
300*

Other Sephardic Artists Known to have recorded Turkish Music:

Abraham Carach efendi
Goldberg Orchestra, The
Misirli Udi Avram, aka Hanende Ibrahim efendi aka Samli Avram efendi
Yafali Selim
Pepron hanim (hanim is a female honoric)

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02173 USA
Home:   781-862-2432