Re: Klezmer Music 1910-1942

>Ari,
>The anthology "Klezmer Music 1910-1942", the first collection  of klezmer
>78s, was produced by me for Folkways in 1982 while I was the sound archivist
>at New York's YIVO Institute. The recent CD release on Global Village is an
>unauthorized pirate issue inferior in sound quality to the original and
>lacking the original extensive annotations.
>Caveat Emptor.

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. I do seem to remember the original,
and was pretty sure that it wasn't on Global Village. I'm very
sorry that something was done to take a well-done release down
to the usual level of Global Village re-releases (and one reason
why I haven't reviewed any of them, or, for that matter, listened
to any of them in many years).

ari

Ari Davidow
The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/