Re: Cantor G. Sirota, the Tenor.

Gershon Sirota was among the greatest chazanim of this century.  He served
pulpits in Odessa, Vilna, the United States and most prominently, he was
the cantor of the Tlomatzka Street Synagogue in Warsaw.  He was reffered to
as the "leben shtime" the lions voice due to the incredible power and range
of his voice.  He was a master improvisor and interpreter of the liturgy
and also able to render formal compositions perfectly.  He died a tragic
death in the Warsaw Ghetto during Passover 1943.

DANIEL B. SCHWARTZ ESQ: SPECIALIZING IN ALL AREAS OF
COMMERCIAL, COMPLEX AND MATRIMONIAL LITIGATION
                          INQUIRE AT
 SCHWARTZESQ (at) WORLDNET(dot)ATT(dot)NET

----------
> From: Anthony Joaquin Souza <ajs19 (at) csufresno(dot)edu>
> To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
> Subject: Cantor G. Sirota, the Tenor.
> Date: Monday, December 01, 1997 11:58 PM
>
> Shalom Amigos,
>       I recently came across an old 78 of my fathers'.  One side is
> "Weseeraw olecho" (May It Be Acceptable) and the other is "W'nemar loi
> hibit owoja."  They are both sung by Cantor G. Sirota in Hebrew with a
> choir.  Beneath his name is printed: "Synagogi Warsz. z chorem."
> Is this the Synogogue in Warsaw?  Also the serial number is 17744-A with
> a little crown after it. The label is Victor and probably was recorded or
> at least manufactured in Camden, N.J.
>       Can anyone give me any feedback on this?
>
> Anton Souza
> President, Hillel
> California State University, Fresno
>
> (209) 447-8434