RE: "blatant self-promotion"

>I was under the impression this was a list on JEWISH MUSIC. why are
>mailboxes being clogged again with discussions on other (musical) subjects,
>however interesting, as well as with e-mails from people who keep using the
>list for blatant self-promotion?
>Ruth Rose

Because Jewish musicians also need to book concerts. This
discussion is entirely relevant to the purpose of the list.

As list owner, let me use this as an excuse to deliver my periodic
note that if you have questions about the appropriateness of
postings, do let me know. From my perspective, wanting to
always increase the use of the list and to convince people
that they might want to network with each other, the mandate
of the list will always be interpreted broadly.

I also want to specifically encourage self-promotion, especially
as it is reflected by people posting of engagements to come in
which others may be interested, or posting of achievements
with which the list, as a whole, might want to applaud. And,
if one is promoting oneself, the blatant variety, wherein it
is clear that you are proud of your achievements is entirely
welcome (within the usual rules of speaking of one's achievements
in public short of boasting or of belittling others). If
jewish music and jewish musicians can't promote themselves
here, then where?

I want to acknowledge that, while the list cannot limit
itself to anyone's individual narrow interpretation of
jewish-music or discussion relevant to same, all
participants have broad powers to prevent themselves from
continuing to encounter discussions of no interest to a
given individual: you can ignore all messages on topics
that are of no interest. Where there are periodic messages
of that ilk, you can set up filters using your e-mail program.

>From my perspective, and I suspect from the perpsective of
many people on this list, the least necessary postings are those
requesting that a discussion end--this is airing administrativa
on a list that is, after all, dedicated to a specific area of
discussion. It is, in effect, making private pique a public
issue for discussion, and can be avoided by e-mailing me
directly.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com