Re: Kobza Recordings

Hi Pete.  There's a solo cobza piece on an album called "This is Romania",
which was on one of the small international labels from the '60's (maybe
Monitor).  Sorry I can't be more specific.  Check your library.  As for the
accompaniment style, there's a good example of that on a CD called "Taraf:
Romanian Gypsy Music" from Music of the World, Ltd., PO Box 3620, Chapel
Hill NC 27515-3620 (CDT-137).  The cobza shows up most clearly on cut 8.

And as for adapting that style to banjo, I've been able to do that with a
tenor banjo.  It sounds kind of like a cimbalom with the dampers down.  I
use a cross-picking style with a plectrum (I've always assumed that the
cobza is a plectrum instrument), but I imagine the 5-string banjo could do
it, too.

By the way, I'm interested in getting a cobza, if anyone knows where such a
thing may be had.

Owen

At 11:22 PM 10/12/97 -0400, Pete wrote:
>Can anyone tell me where I can find recordings of the kobza?  From what I
>understand, it is a fretless lute that preceded the tsimbl in klezmer
>bands.  I'm a banjoist, and I'm hoping to get some ideas from hearing a
>klezmer approach to a finger-picked instrument.  In particular, I'm
>interested in finding out where I can get recordings of the kobza tzipturi
>style (which can be almost banjo-like).  One name that has been suggested
>is Constantine Brailou's recordings, but I'm not sure where to find them.
>I'd appreciate any help.
>
>Thanks, Pete Rushefsky

________         Owen Davidson, Amherst, Mass.

        I look into its glowing screen