Re: Found "Fish," lost "The Klezmorim"

>Rounder has a website but I don't think I saw any e-mail correspondence
>address there or info from which Directory Assistance could work.

The Klezmorim are now defunct, to the best of my knowledge. In
any event, all of the original founders are long gone.

>Failing that, are any of the current groups similar in style; that is, no
>strings or accordian ... just reeds, brass and percussion with bass horn
>emphasis?

Boy, where would one begin. It is hard to find a brassy klezmer,
or klezmer-derived band that doesn't have an accordion. In fact,
I'm not convinced that The Klezmorim actively avoided it.

If what you are looking for, though, is a brassy band that is
playing with a high sense of fun, you might want to explore
recordings by Di Gojim, a Dutch band that is very nice. I have
info on my klezpages at:
   http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/contacts/klezbands.html#band.gojim

There is a new recording by Shirim Klezmer Orchestra due out by
the end of the year that might also meet your criteria, and, of
course, if you are looking for avant-garde-ish music based on
klezmer, Naftule's Dream has a new release coming out on Tzaddik
next month that will be quite fine.

Going entirely retro, you might also really enjoy Henry Sapoznik's
and Pete Sokolow's "Original Klezmer Jazz Band" with a wonderful
fusion of klez and Dixieland. (Certainly, the results are as
close to klezmer as The Klezmorim ever got in their later years ;-).)

Beyond that, there are people on this list who can (and should!)
speak up for their own bands.

The Klezmer Revival has grown and changed and become both
much more diverse, and much more listenable since The Klezmorim's
heyday.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com