Re: klez-jazz?

At 06:47 PM 9/12/97 -0400, you wrote:

>To be sure, I wouldn't characterize either band as klezmer (and
>neither to folks in the bands), but people who enjoy klezmer
>might well appreciate either one.
>
>ari

Well, I guess that's my point.  The question originally posed was "What is
klezmer?", really in reference to how to file CDs.  I find the digression
into definition of the music fascinating.  Klezmer certainly is an adaptable
form which seems to be continually informed and enriched by its contact with
the musics around it, but it makes all these influences its own.  The
attempt to consciously cross pollinate does, however, lead to questions of
authenticity.  Personally, I prefer to remain within the bounds of tradition
as much as possible, but I can still enjoy the various fusion attempts for
what they are.  In fact, one of my favorite bands was 3 Mustaphas 3.  You
want to talk about shtik?  Their approach to the authenticity question was
to invent their own mythical culture, complete with accents and leopard-skin
fezzes.  "That's how we play it in our village."  But klezmer, it ain't.

Gut shabbos, all.

Owen
________         Owen Davidson, Amherst, Mass.

        I look into its glowing screen