Re: collecting klezmer music CDs

Three nice traditional CDs you might consider:

Dave Tarras: Yiddish-American Klezmer Music 1925-1956  Yazoo CD 7001
   A real gamut of material from dance tunes to theater music to radio spots.

Naftule Brandwine:  King of the Klezmer Clarinet  Rounder CD 1127
   Traditional music mostly from the 1920's.  Awesome chops!

The Epstein Brothers Orchestra:  Kings of Freylekh Land  Spectrum Wergo SM
1611-2
   Recent recording by a family of older players who can really cook.

And of course there are numerous contemporary bands like Kapelye, the
Klezmer Conservatory Band, Brave Old World, the Andy Statman Orchestra, and
on and on: to recommend one is to slight a dozen others.  Modesty prevents
me from mentioning my own band, except to say that its initials are The
Wholesale Klezmer Band at http://www.crocker.com/~ganeydn.

Hope this is helpful.

Owen B. Davidson

At 12:54 PM 9/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I do not know much about klezmer music, and I am interested in expanding my
>CD collection. The only CD I have now is Live at the Fiddlers House. Any
>suggestions?
>
>Susan Gertz
>Document Production Manager
>Terrific Science Press