Re: somewhat pure klezmer

>On Wed, ^ Aug 1997 22:23:10 -0400 (EDT), Seth Rogovoy wrote:
>
>On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Eric Goldberg wrote:
>
>> There are a few bluegrassish jewish recordings although each music is best
>> when it is presented somewhat in a pure state.
>
>Really Eric, you didn't mean this, did you? ;-)
>
>talk about your can of worms.....
>
>you want to define "a pure state" of either type of music? or any music,
>for that matter?
>
>--Seth
>________________
>
>Seth, if klezmer were not generally played "somewhat in a pure state,"
>well, it wouldn't be klezmer, would it? If bluegrass were not generally
>played "somewhat in a pure state," it wouldn't really be bluegrass, either.

Oy, Jeff, I think that this is exactly what Seth was calling
a can of worms. I'm not sure how important it is to haggle over
this to the nth degree (and in respect of that, I am refraining
from posting a response to your specific message). There is a
point where this becomes pilpul, not music of any sort.

Imho.

ari

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->