Scholem Secunda

4/2/97

Can anyone tell me a little bit about Scholem Secunda (i.e. his dates,
where he lived, what was the nature of his work) and his song "Dona Dona"
(i.e. when was it written, did Secunda write both the melody & the words,
is the song allegorical, etc.). We're doing this song in our group (The
Freilachmakers Old Time String Band) now and I'd love to be able to provide
audiences (and myself) with some background other than that Joan Baez sang
it in English so-and-so many years ago. (I apologize in advance if this
topic has been discussed before in the Jewish music group, but I just
joined...)

Kol tuv,

Andy Rubin
Sacramento, CA