Re: Kleta Red

>Re:  Kleta Red
>Has anyone else listened to this disc?  How do you see it fitting in with the
>other more mainstream, if anything connected with Zorn could be considered
>mainstream, releases from Tzaddik which seem much more solidly based in
>experimental jazz and classical?

I'll have to go look for it--it sounds like the sort of
thing I always enjoy sampling. Your description is quite
interesting. I was just listening to the Cayuga Klezmer
Revival album (reviewed on my web pages) and thinking
about sound samples when it sank in that CKR is very
much GenX klezmer--the members of the band that made
that album not only knew klez and balkan rhythms, but
had spent significant time with Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

At the same time, CKR is still a klezmer band. It's
not a rock or a jazz band, as distinct from experiments
such as Zorn's "Kristalnacht" or Towering Inferno which
deal with modulated noise in an industrial sense, but
don't sound rooted in anything Jewish (much less, klez-ish)
beyond the title.

Which leads me back to a question that I posed last week,
to whit, what is "avant garde" klezmer. At the moment, the
most exciting thing I'm listening to (and it's pretty
exciting in its own right, regardless of whether or not
I pin an extra label on it) is the new Budowitz CD,
"Mother Tongue", which =should= be appearing in record
stores this week. If you don't see it, give Hatikva
a call in Los Angeles--Rutberg (sp?) seems to have
everything and know where to get what he doesn't have.
Wish he'd come online ;-).

ari

P.S. To get to the Cayuga Klezmer Revival, or the Budowitz
reviews (the latter with RA 3.0 sound samples), check out
   http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/klezlist.html

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
http://www.ivritype.com/