Re: Shalom Aleichem, etc.

At 08:26 AM 12/23/96 +0000, you wrote:
>>Another interesting bit of trivia regarding Israel Goldfarb (composer of
>>"Shalom Aleichem" melody): in the same edition of "The Jewish Songster, Part
>>I," copyright 1925 &1948, appears the familiar Shabbat evening Kiddush melody
>>we all sing in homes and congregations everywhere. Its composer is none other
>>than Israel Goldfarb.
>>      The tune has a life of it's own al well.  In many schuls it is sung
to Tisgadal in the Shacharit service as well (although it is not purely
Ahava Rabbah, it is close enough to nusach to pass)

>I believe he quoted major sections and motifs from Lewandowsky - I'd have to
>check my reprint of "Kol Rina" to be certain (it's at work and I'm at home).
>       He used the Lewandowski Kiddush for Friday night note for note.  If
I recall correctly, his Eitz Chaim is a direct quote of Zacharti Loch.

>He did that with a few of Lewandowsky's settings; I don't mind for the simple
>reason that Goldfarb's little blue book of "Friday Evening Congregational
>Melodies" received wide distribution, thereby popularizing these melodies.
>
>                                                       Cantor Neil Schwartz
>
>Cantor Neil Schwartz
>or
>Katie Schwartz, B.S.I.
>
>schwartz (at) enter(dot)net

*      DANIEL B. SCHWARTZ ATTORNEY AT LAW         *
*    MEMBER OF NEW YORK, NEW JERSEY &FEDERAL BARS *
*     SPECIALIZING IN COMMERCIAL LITIGATION,      *
*    CLASS ACTIONS, AND BROKER-DEALER MATTERS     *
*     FOR INFORMATION SEND E-MAIL TO:             *
*   SCHWARTZESQ (at) WORLDNET(dot)ATT(dot)NET                  *