1996 Sunday Morning Klezmer -- Upcoming Special Events

  1996 Sunday Morning Klezmer -- Upcoming Special Events and Other ...

     + =========================================================== +
    ||    Jacob Freedman -- Host/Producer Sunday Morning Klezmer   ||
    ||        E-Mail Address -- Jacob(dot)Freedman (at) bbsx(dot)com
    ||      WBZC 88.9 FM -- A Voice For Burlington County, NJ      ||
    ||        http://dvjcc.ncc.com/dvjcc/Klezmer.radio.html        ||
    ||      "Out of Date" Music List, Fax & Mail Info Current      ||
     + =========================================================== +

    Upcoming Special Events and Other ...             11 December 1996

            + ============================================ +
           ||    Upcoming Special Events and Other ...     ||
            + ============================================ +

Now through January 12, 1997

The Maiden of Ludmir -- Folksbiene Yiddish Theatre -- New York City

The Folksbiene Yiddish Theatre, in affilation with the Workmen's Circle
presents, "The Maiden of Ludmir", a new musical. Simultaneous English
and Russian Translation is available. This musical features; Zypora
Spaisman, Mina Bern, and with guest artist from London, Bernard
Mendelovitch. The Theatre is located at 123 East 155 Street, between
Park and Lexington. Wednesdays and Sundays Matinees, at 2:00 p.m.;
Evening Performances are Saturdays at 8:00 p.m., Sundays at 5:30 p.m.

For tickets and reservations, call 212-755-2231.

Sunday, December 15,1996, 7:30 p.m. EST

Chanukkah and Eighteenth Anniversary of "Voice of the Turtle Concert"

Please come celebrate Chanukkah and their Eighteenth Anniversary, on
Sunday, December 15,1996, at 7:30 p.m, at Paine Hall, the Music
Building of Harvard University, is located off of Oxford Street,
behind the Science Center. Tickets are $18.00 or $12.00 for seniors
and students.

All the "Original Turtles"; Derek Burrows, Lisle Kulbach,
Jay Rosenberg, and Judith Wachs, are "astonished", they have reached
this milestone, and would be especially pleased to have the privilege
of celebrating with you.

The program, "Chai Lights," will feature rarely heard Judeo -- Spanish
repertoire from Jerusalem, as well as their signature array of
instruments from medieval through modern times. Recognition (and more!)
will be bestowed upon the winner of the year long "Name the Concert"
contest!

Contact: Meg Pash -- Vintage Entertainment

-- Telephone       -- 800-657-0334
-- Fax             -- 413-781-4459

Mail Ordering Instructions:

Please enclose a money order -- no credit cards -- and a self-addressed
stamped envelope; for prompt delivery, send a pre-paid, self-addressed
overnight mail envelope, the tickets will be mailed to you.

Mail Order Address:
                      Vintage Entertainment
                      42 Dartmouth Street
                      Springfield, MA 01109

Thursday, December 19,1996, 7:30 p.m. EST

Tel Aviv Cafe -- A monthly look into Israel Today -- Grand Opening

Temple Emanuel, The Israeli Shaliach Department, and the Jewish
Federation of Southern New Jersey, invites you to the Grand Opening of
the Tel Aviv Cafe, a monthly look into Israel Today. The cafe will open,
Thursday, December 19,1996, 7:30 p.m. Discussions and presentations of
current events, literature, and contemporary, Israeli Music will be
available. Admission is Free. Coffee and Light Refreshments will be
served.

Please RSVP, by December 16, call 609-489-0029

Temple Emanuel
1101 Springdale Road
Cherry Hill, New Jersey

Friday, December 20, and Saturday, December 21

13th Annual Lois G. Levine Arts Festival
Adath Emanu-El -- Willingboro, New Jersey 08046

On Friday, December 20, after evening services, there will be a very
special Oneg Shabbat; including a musical interlude, featuring
Choir Director Richard Rubinstein, on Piano. Also, a viewing of
Congregants Judaic Artwork, Woodwork, and Children's Art Projects. For
those interested, you may even enter an Judaic Art Project of your
own. For more information, contact program chairperson, Andy Lieberman
at 609-482-2764 or Debbie Zack at 609-596-8933.

On Saturday, December 21, after evening services, an elegant Cheese,
Hors D' Oeuvres and Wine Buffet, will be served. After the buffet, a
concert by "Atzilut : The Forth World". Atzilut is a versatile music
group that blends a repertoire of Ladino, Middle Eastern, and
Sephardic melodies.

For more information call, fax or write:

Adath Emanu-El
299 John F. Kennedy Way
Willingboro, New Jersey 08046

-- Telephone       -- 609-871-1736
-- Fax             -- 609-871-1797

Sunday, December 22, -- 3:00 p.m.

C A R P A T I : 5 0  M i l e s, 5 0  Y e a r s -- H O T  P S T R O M I

A  Y A L E  S T R O M  D O C U M E N T A R Y   -- H I S  B A N D

A screening of the film, CARPATI : 50 Miles, 50 Years; the story of a
Jewish man, Zev Godinger, who lives in the Carpathian mountains. Zev
decides to return home for the first time, since his deportation.
A Film about faith and fate.

And a concert by HOT PSTROMI, cutting-edge klezmer band on
Sunday, December 22, 1996, at 3:00 p.m.

The film screening and concert will be presented at the:

  The Knitting Factory Music Club and Label
  http://www.knittingfactory.com/

Knitting Factory Music Club
http://www.knittingfactory.com/TheClub.html
74 Leonard Street, three blocks south of Canal Street
Tribecca, New York City

Ticket are $12.00. For tickets and information, call 212-219-3006.

Hot Pstromi -- a klezmer band, with a little horseradish, on the side

Yale Strom -- Violin -- Vocals         Mark Dresser -- Bass
Ismaic Butera -- Accordion             Amir Halfon -- Percussion
Glenn Dickson -- Clarinet -- Sax

Sunday - Friday, December 22-27, 1996

KlezKamp 1996

Living Traditions, Inc. is proud to announce the 12th annual "KlezKamp:
The Yiddish Folk Arts Program" to be held December 22-27 1996, at the
Paramount Hotel in New York's Catskill region.

In honor of our first KlezKamp in St. Petersburg, Russia to be held in
1997, our theme this year will be on the history of the Jews of Russia
and will feature lectures on the life and career of  musicologist Moshe
Beregovskii (including recently discovered wax cylinders made by him in
Volhyn in 1938-39), an examination of the works of Marc Chagall, and the
history of the Moscow Yiddish Art theater; in addition to our full array
of everything, from klezmer instrument classes, vocal coaching and song
seminars, all levels of Yiddish language, poetry, literature and
translation, Yiddish and Russian dance workshops, visual arts, folklore,
a full children's and teen program, theater workshop, and the showing of
the rare 1924 Yiddish silent film "Yidishe Glickn" starring Solomon
Mikhoels and featuring a new live musical score.

Henry Sapoznik
Director

For KlezKamp 1996 Information, call or write:

Living Traditions
430 West 14th Street
New York, New York 10014

-- Telephone       -- 212-691-1272
-- Fax             -- 212-691-1657
-- Internet E-Mail -- livetrads (at) aol(dot)com

Henry Sapoznik
Director

Tuesday, December 24,1996, 8:30 p.m. EST

David Broza, Israeli Rock Superstar, returns to the Town Hall, for his
second annual New York Winter Concert, on Tuesday, December 24,1996,
8:30 p.m. . The Town Hall is located at 123 West 43rd Street. This
multi-plantinum recording artist is famous for his flamenco-tinged
folk-rock.

Tickets are $25.00 - $35.00, and are available from:

T I C K E T M A S T E R -- New York City -- 212-307-7171

T O W N  H A L L  B O X  O F F I C E -- 123 West 43rd Street

W E S T  S I D E  J U D A I C A -- 2412 Broadway, between 88th & 89th

S I F R U T A K E -- 486 Avenue P -- Brooklyn

N A O M I  P I Z Z A -- 6828 Main Street -- Flushing, Queens