Why categorize Klezmer?

Moshe,

Thanks for the information on Tzimmes. My immersion in Klezmer is growing.

Regarding your thoughts below, I generally am sympathetic but want to offer a
somewhat different perspective: I'm a tremendous jazz fan and pretty good
amateur jazz pianist, in addition to liking many other forms of music. By being
a "mongrel," jazz has grown and flourished immeasurably as an art form with
numerous schools and branches, **at least until 1967**.

Since that time, when for many reasons jazz-rock fusion of various kinds took
off - mostly for commercial reasons, with occasional genuine artistic
motivation
- jazz means "fusion" to probably the majority of non jazz buffs. They are not
familiar with the glorious, unique, tradition of the art form. So what "jazz"
gained in some quarters in superficial popularity cost it substantially in
terms
of dilution both in jazz musical excellence and audience recognition- Kenny G,
Grover Washington, Oregon - you name 'em - they are not jazz artists( although
they may be sometimes marketed as such) certainly not in the way Armstrong,
Parker, Powell, Ellington, Coltrane, Garner, etc. are jazz artists and share
the
basic musical conceptions, sensibilities and common tradition. So there are
costs associated with this dilution. Where to draw the line is never hard and
fast. Wynton Marsalis, even though he's not a great trumpet player, I respect
for the fact that he recognizes that over-"hybridizing" jazz (or any art form)
nullifies what is special and uniquely emotionally/musically compelling about
it.

((I'm gratified that the US Stamp series of jazz artists released last year
included 10 undisputed pure jazz giants - which indicates that even very
"official" channels want to address different musical idioms with taste and
sensitivity. Who knows? Maybe one day some govt will spawn Klezmer stamps
(maybe
Israel or some other place has already) and you and I would want the unique,
although hard-to-define art form and selections treated with respect.))

My Klezmer immersion is such that I'm a "sponge" right now, sorting out my
preferences from what's out there. But already there are clear "acoustic
references" I have for a Klezmer sound - and beyond that point, I wouldn't call
it Klezmer. Interestingly, I've heard some good jamming among jazz and klezmer
artists that still sounds to me like it should be called Klezmer. Like Charlie
Parker said, there are no boundaries in art. At some point, though, the music
might become unrecognizable to me as klezmer per se, and some new category
would
be called for, for those who like labels.

Shabbat Shalom,

Scott

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->