Re: Yigdal

In article <01I8KI60JW5E001D0J (at) Wittenberg(dot)EDU>, KAZEZ (at)
Wittenberg(dot)EDU wrote:

> Can anyone tell me, please, what a "Yigdal" is?  I'm clueless!

The last hymn in a Shabbat or Festival evening service (in the
traditional prayer-book) is called "Yigdal", after its first word.

The text is a summary of Maimonides' "13 Principles" in poetic form.
Please keep in mind that he was reflecting the prevailing theology
of his day (1100's); not all Jews believe all 13 principles today.

The most prevalent melody in most synagogues was composed hundreds
of years ago by Moses Leoni, and in fact that melody is found in
some Protestant hymnals.  However, there are many other beautiful
(if less well-known) melodies for the same hymn.  There are several
Sefardic melodies which are particularly haunting.

There is also a special melody for Yigdal in the Eastern European
Ashkenazic tradition just for the High Holy Days evening services
(and Selichot).

While many synagogues end the Sabbath evening service with either
Adon Olam or some other hymn, Yigdal is traditionally assigned to
end the evening service.
                                              Cantor Neil Schwartz
--
Cantor Neil Schwartz