Forwarded message:
From:   buster (at) CSTONE(dot)NET (Peter Marshall)
Sender: COMANDO (at) LISTSERV(dot)NODAK(dot)EDU (coMANDO - Mandolin Playing and
Enjoyment)
To:     COMANDO (at) LISTSERV(dot)NODAK(dot)EDU (Multiple recipients of list
COMANDO)
Date: 96-05-24 00:04:01 EDT

please forgive me if this doesn't have direct mando content...i guess i
feel like enough of you might want to know about this to make this post to
the comando list worthwhile. i found this on the rec.folk dance newsgroup:

***Library of Congress Folklife Center Endangered***

>Word has just been received from Washington, DC that Rep. William Thomas
>(R-CA) has introduced a bill to abolish the American Folklife Center in
>the Library of Congress by repealing the American Folklife Preservation
>Act of 1976. The bill, H.R. 3491, has been referred to the House
>Committee on Oversight, of which Rep. Thomas is the chair.
>
>The American Folklife Center has been an integral part of the Library of
>Congress since 1977; the Archive of Folk Culture (formerly the Archive of
>Folk Song) has been part of the Library since 1928. This unique national
>collection of manuscripts, sound recordings, photographs, films, videos,
>periodicals, and other materials of interest to those of us who care
>about our cultural legacy is the place where John and Alan Lomax
>(alongside a young Pete Seeger) did their pioneer work in documenting the
>music and culture of the American people. It was to the Archive that
>composer Aaron Copland came to learn fiddle tunes for his ballet,
>"Rodeo", and the Shaker hymn that is at the heart of "Appalachian
>Spring". The Center has done extensive recording of the repertoires of
>such pioneers of American music as Leadbelly, Woody Guthrie, Son House
>and Jelly Roll Morton. The Center maintains one of the largest archives
>in the world of African-American traditional music. And the Center has,
>for many years, issued recordings that present the finest in America's
>traditional music, including fiddle tunes, work songs, gospel music and
>prison songs, all drawn from authentic field recordings of primary
>sources. The Center has a fine staff of helpful and dedicated people; the
>director, Alan Jabbour, is a noted collector, fiddler and scholar. The
>Folklife Center's public reading room assisted nearly 9,000 researchers
>in 1994.
>
>We need more places like this, not fewer! The telephone number for Rep.
>Thomas is 202-225-2915 (no e-mail); the number for the Committee on
>Oversight is 202-225-8281.
>
>Please take the time to contact your Representative and the Committee; it
>is their votes that are the most crucial now. It is also important to
>contact your Senator; if this bill passes, it can still be blocked in the
>Senate.
>
>This fact sheet was edited by Paul Stamler, from information provided by
>Joe Wilson. Please copy it and give it to others who are interested in
>America's traditional culture. Thank you.

                                 Pete Marshall

Mando Mafia                                           WTJU FM

5505 Walnut Level Rd                                  711 Newcomb Hall
Station
Crozet,VA 22932                                       Charlottesville VA
22904
USA                                                   USA
                    http://www.tcp.co.uk/~megabops/petem.html