Sunday Morning Klezmer Jewish Internet Info Sheet 4/26

Sunday Morning Klezmer Jewish Internet Information Sheet

Jewish Music Information Sources, that are available, on the Internet.
( Last Update 23-Apr-96 ) :

Ari Davidow's Klezmer Page and Jewish-Music List Moderator

I've been in love with klez for about fifteen years--ever since
Santa Cruz Klez and Bluegrass musician Jeff Brody was brought back
from a party by a friend of mine at 2am just so he could play some
tapes for me. This is called "Ari Davidow's Klez Picks" because I
have my own ideas of what I want to hear in a klez band, and in what
I value. I'm into the klez revival sounds that continue the growth
of klezmer as a Jewish fusion of the world of music around us. This
is not the place to read about musicians I tend to regard as
shlockmeisters pandering to shmaltz and a rosy view of what was,
such as Giora Feidman. Same name for the music. Same inspiration.
But, "been there and done that" and it's no longer my scene.

If you have a klez story to tell, comments, reviews to add, or just
want to let people know about your band, or have something else to
say that I haven't already mentioned (and especially about bad links
or other mistakes)--"send me e-mail". I'll get it all online as I have
time. It's a pleasure!

We have many people interested in Jewish music.  When posting to EEJH,
please remember to keep your messages within the context of historical
phenomena in eastern Europe.  Among the geographic areas appropriate are
Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, Roumania, and Lithuania, although comparisons
between Jewish music of different regions is fine.  Since music is so
integral to culture - along with religion, values, and a shared history;
I think it's essential for us to always consider its contributions.

Jewish-Food is an open, unmoderated list for all interested in the
discussin of GENERAL aspects of Jewish food which may include the
exchanging of recipes and cooking techniques of Jewish food in general;
Kashruth (laws of keeping Kosher) in a cooking lifestyle, technique or
recipe context only. Discussion of the philosophical merits of Kashruth
will be discouraged.  Other discussion topics included on this list are
holiday cooking, sources of Kosher foods, delicatessens (locations,
specialties, reviews and recipes), Jewish cooking history and traditions.

Mikhtav carries discussions about topics of Israeli or Jewish
interest, but in Hebrew using Hebrew letters rather than Latin
transliteration.

Virtual Shtetl

The Yiddish Language and Culture home page, which bills itself as a
"Virtual Shtetl", links to Yiddish-oriented pages for a library,
synagogue, school, memorial, and more. What's a shtetl? It's a small
Jewish town or village formerly found in Eastern Europe. You can learn
much more than definitions by visiting one of the areas; the library,
for example, contains a link to a Bibliography with topics ranging
from literature and art to theater and cinema to history and Holocaust
Rescuers. Be sure to stop by the Kitchen, where you can check out a
database of kosher restaurants or get a recipe for blintzes and other
delicacies.

           Jewish Gopher, Mail-Lists, Usenet News Conference,
           World Wide Web Sites       [*music specific sites]

*alt.music.jewish
Usenet Conference

ATARIM Bi-Lingual Search Engine
http://www.bestware.co.uk/atarim

A -- Z of Jewish & Israel Related Resources
http://www.ort.org/anjy/a-z/

Dallas Virtual Jewish Community Center
*Klezmer Music In Cyberspace
http://dvjcc.ncc.com/dvjcc/
*http://dvjcc.ncc.com/dvjcc/Klezmer.radio.html

-- My Radio Show Fact Sheet resides on this web page,
   one of the best, Jewish Web Sites.

*Ari Davidow's Klezmer
http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez

Eastern European Jewish History Mailing List

         Address          : majordomo (at) ort(dot)org
         Subject          : [leave line blank]
         Message          : subscribe eejh [delivered, as sent] or
                          : subscribe eejh-digest [all messages, weekly]

                            Kevin Brook
                            Eastern European Jewish History Moderator
                            kbrook (at) acad(dot)bryant(dot)edu

*Michael Elkin's Jewish Entertainment
http://www.netaxs.com/~elkin/

*Galgalats -- IDF Radio Station -- Music and
Traffic Radio Station. Hebrew & Israeli Music,
Host Information, Real -- Audio clips, Weekly Hitlist.
http://www.netvision.net.il

University of Haifa Library Services
http://www-lib.haifa.ac.il/

HATIKVA's guide to Jewish Stockholm
Getting http://www.algonet.se/%7Ehatikva/english.html

Italian -- Jewish Network
http://www.inrete.it/a1/ita/mshg/musi/musi1.html

Jewish Boston Online
http://www.shamash.org/places/boston/index.html

Jewish -- Food Mail List

         Address          : listproc (at) eskimo(dot)com
         Subject          : [leave line blank]
         Message          : subscribe jewish-food [delivered, as sent] or
                          : subscribe jewish-food-digest [all messages, weekly]

                            Jeff Freedman
                            Jewish-Food Moderator
                            jefffree (at) eskimo(dot)com

Jewish -- Food Mail List Archive
http://www.eskimo.com/~jefffree/recipes

*Jewish -- Music Mailing List

         Address          : listserv (at) israel(dot)nysernet(dot)org
         Subject          : [leave line blank]
         Message          : subscribe jewish-music YourFirstName YourLastName

                            Ari Davidow
                            Jewish-Music Moderator
                            ari (at) ivritype(dot)com

*Jewish -- Music Mail List Archive
gopher://israel.nysernet.org/1m/lists/jewish-music/

Judaism and Jewish Resources
http://shamash.nysernet.org/trb/judaism.html

L.A. Jewish Community Online
http://www.jco.org/

Mendele : Yiddish Literature and Language Mail List:

         Address          : listserv (at) yalevm(dot)cis(dot)yale(dot)edu
         Subject          : [leave ine blank]
         Message          : subscribe mendele YourFirstName YourLastName

Mendele Archive Sites :

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/languages/yiddish/mendele
gopher://sunsite.unc.edu/11/../.pub/academic/languages/yiddish/mendele
http://sunsite.unc.edu/yiddish/mewais.html

Mikhtav : Hebrew discussion of Israeli or Jewish Topics and
           Mail List (for details see page) :
http://www.hevanet.com/dshivers/mikhtav

RadioHazak -- Internet Center For Israeli Pop Music
http://www.well.com/user/yudel/Hazak.html

Reading Jewish Community Center
http://www.berksweb.com/jcc/jcc.html

Shamash: The Jewish Networking Project
http://shamash.nysernet.org/

*Tara Music Publications (1-800-TARA-400)
http://www.jewishmusic.com/

Tucson Jewish Community
http://www.tucson.com/JewishFed/JewishFed.html

Ultimate Jewish -- Israel Link Launcher
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/%7Ejsu/launcher.html

Unofficial Jewish News Media List
http://www.libertynet.org/~anderson/jprintnewsmedia.html

Virtual Shtetl
http://sunsite.unc.edu/yiddish/shtetl.html

*Yahoo -- Society and Culture:Religion:Judaism:Music
http://www.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/Religion/Judaism/Music/

*Yiddish Voice, A Yiddish Radio Show; Boston, MA
WUNR 1600 AM/Brookline -- Wednesdays 7:30-8:30 p.m.
http://world.std.com/~yv/

WEJ: Jewish Australia on the Web
http://www.wej.com.au/