Purchasing SCORE

Dear Friends,

The following message is directed towards the composers and songwriters who
subscribe to this list. Please excuse me if it doesn't deal specifically
with Jewish Music.

Like myself, some of you may be looking into purchasing a reliable, high-end
music notation program.

Just the other day, I spoke with Leland Smith, the inventor of the Music
Publishing program SCORE, at San Andreas Press (in Palo Alto, CA; tel.
415-856-9394). The following items may be of interest to any potential
purchaser:

1. The current price of SCORE is $825 (U.S.$ - taxes not included, I assume).
2. There are no  discounts for educational institutions, but two
possibilities exist that could lower the price:
   a) 1st copy is $825; 2nd copy is at a 10% discount.
   b) Multiple copies bought all at once could result in a larger discount -
generally up to 20%. This is often the case with large publishers, who may
buy up to 15 copies at once.
3. They are presently working on two projects, in the following order of
priority:
   a) Creating software to move from FINALE to SCORE.
   b) Creating a Windows '95 version of SCORE - it may be available by the
end of 1996.
4. Of course, the present DOS version of SCORE is always upgradable - so
whether you buy now or later, changing over to a Windows '95 version would
cost little more than the purchase of Windows '95. It would be wise to
confirm this at the time of purchase.

Pursuant to the above considerations, and being a prospective first-time
purchaser myself, I would like to propose the following to all parties in a
position similar to mine.

If you are interested in signing a list declaring yourself a seriously
interested purchaser, we could then approach Leland Smith and San Andreas
Press for a collective discount. I am willing to be the conduit for this
list - there will be no handling fee on my part -   it must be agreed that
anyone who does any work on the transaction does so out of self-interest;
thus, it is agreed that what we save collectively is shared equally.

Leland is going to be in Europe from March 10 until the end of March. I
propose an expiry date for this purchasers list of Monday April 1, 1996
(inclusive). At that time I will approach Leland with our collective
proposal and negotiate terms. Thereupon, all members on the list will be
contacted for their final approval; it would still be possible to remove
one's name from the list at that time but, for everyone's sake, we  must
insist that anyone who wishes to put their name down now, do so only out of
a serious desire to purchase the program. This way, I will know what I'm
dealing with when I speak to Leland in April.

Please copy this letter and insert your name below, if you are interested in
joining this purchasers list; or just e-mail me with your name and e-mail
address.

NAME:             EMAIL:

M. Denburg        denburg (at) direct(dot)ca
L. Marinoff       marinoff (at) cnct(dot)com
A. Chandra        arunc (at) ux1(dot)cso(dot)uiuc(dot)edu

If you wish to find out more about SCORE, begin by visiting the website:
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~yermish/Score_List_Info.html

Sincerely Yours,

Moshe Denburg

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->