Holocaust Music

Some of the postings about Holocaust music are interesting, but most have
nothing to do with Auschwitz, at least not directly.

Two books written by musicians who played in the Auschwitz orchestra:
Fenelon, Fania. The Musicians of Auschwitz. Translated by Judith Landry.
London: Michael Joseph, 1977.

Laks, Szyman. Music of Another World. Translated by Chester Kisiel. Evanston,
IL: Northwestern University Press, 1989. (Originally published as Musiques
d'un autre monde. Paris: Mercure de France, 1948.)

General info on Holocaust music:
Basart, Ann. "Music and the Holocaust: A Selective Bibliography." Cum notis
variorum 101 (April 1986):  1-30.

Heskes, Irene. "Jewish Music Resources for Holocaust Programming." In The
Holocaust: An Annotated Bibliography and Resource Guide, ed. David M. Szonyi,
222-251. Hoboken, NJ: Ktav Publishing House, 1985.

Jacobson, Joshua. "Music in the Holocaust." The Choral Journal 36:5
(December, 1995): 9-21.

Annotated Music Collections
Kalisch, Shoshana. Yes, We Sang. NY: Harper and Row, 1985.

Mlotek, Eleanor. We Are Here: Songs of the Holocaust. NY: The Workman's
Circle, 1983.
Hear Our Voices: Songs from the Ghettos and the Camps. (Music from Terezin,
Vilna, Vishnetz, Sachsenhausen, Pryztik). HaZamir HZ-009.

One composition written and performed  in the Sachsenhausen concentration
camp just before the choir was sent to Auschwitz:
Rosenberg, Martin (arr. J. Jacobson). Tsen Brider(SATB). N.Y.:
Transcontinental Music, 1995.

The best resource for Holocaust music is:
Bret Werb,  U.S. Holocaust Museum, 100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW,
Washington, DC  20024-2150. E-mail: bwerb (at) ushmm(dot)org(dot)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->