Re: Klezmer music for Accordion and Violin

isa,
        By now you probably have seen various postings about Klezmer to
the effect that almost nothing is officially codified or arranged. Let
me reemphasize that point. Klezmer is WHOLELY a folk style. All the
arrangements any band uses are done as a bare necessity and are a sparse
and simple as possible. The arrangements you hear on large band recordings or
or from theater orchestras are
completely artificial. In my band, any arrangements we do are simply
convenient ways of making sure that we know which section comes where,
when to end, when to start and how to best showcase our talents. They are
ad hoc and change from day to day. In fact, we often change things around
just to make the tune more interesting for us, if it is a well-played
chestnut which is becoming stale. Are you starting to see a pattern in
all this? You will have to do your own arrangements. If you don't have
the foggiest idea of form or style, I recommend Pete Sokolow's book on
Klezmer arranging (available from TARA). You might get someone with an
actual arrangement but I doubt it. It takes way too long to write out
arrangements and the market is simply not there. If you want to hire me,
sure, I'll do it but it'll cost you much more than you'd ever want to
pay; and at that, for just one tune. Happy reading...

Fred Jacobowitz
Machaya Klezmer Band

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Lisa Tomlinson wrote:

> I am looking for sheet music of Klezmer music for solo accordion or
> accordion and violin (and perhaps other instruments).
> Most sheet music that I know consists of simple tunes with little
> variation or development.  Can you please recommend any more
> sophisticated arrangements?

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->